I think that for many people it is a no brainer--regualar novels. Most people don't associate good reading to what they think is just regular superhero and action comics, but as for most things in life, there really are two sides to comics. There's the side that is all about showing an extravagant action pact world, and there's the one that visits abstract ways at viewing the same world as ours. I personally have no preference between the two because they both make for good reading to me, but unfortunately not many people get to see the second side to graphic novels. I'm sure if people read books like Watchmen, Persepolis, or V for Vendetta on a more regular basis, the original question I asked would be much harder to answer for many.
so what's your preference? and name some books or graphic novels that have shaped your answer.
I think both have their importance as well. I do think since the 90's Graphic Novels have really shown that is possible for them to have sophistication. You should read the Sandman by Niel Gaimen. If Alan Moore got you into the "Church" of philosophical Graphic Novels, then Neil will complete your journey towards "enlightenment".
ReplyDelete