Honestly I think that the book was very well written, it was also has a very intriguing and captivating plot line, but when it comes to the ending I must say Charlotte Bronte seemed to have whored her original intentions.
She seems to indicate in throughout the book that sticking to her beliefs, and remaining independent is what is important to Jane, but in the end, she goes against her own morals and returns to Rochester without knowing that her morals needed no breaking. Apart for the disagreeable ending, however, I really have no more complaints about the book personally. I think that Charlotte Bronte demonstrates remarkable skill and subtlety in her writing. She also has definitely mastered the art of motifs and mystery, which is why I think it is a perfectly corresponding book for College Literature. She uses most of the literary techniques that we've been focusing on in class recently, and she also provides us with an example of how to read longer, duller, and more condensed books. So my general assessment of the book was that it is a great book to read for college lit, and I would personally read it again for pleasure, but damn that ending just didn't seem wright. It was like Jane couldn't help herself when faced with the idea of pleasure, and she never used to do that in the book. Hence the title.
Very catchy title Sisco. I agree that the ending was a little quick and contradictory, but I was happy that I can now say that I read that book. Although it was very well written and probably a good choice for the class, I thought that the density was brutal and I will hopefully never have to read it again just for that reason. That was my only other complaint about the book and to me it feels justified because reading "I am the Messenger" feels like such a releif.
ReplyDeleteI think the ending was a little quick too but Jane listened to her heart, she wanted to be with Rochester and I see it as she kind of did it for herself. While reading the book I definitely did not like all of the motifs and annotating and how long and boring it was but after I finally finished the book and realized how much meaning there was I actually didn't mind the book at all.
ReplyDeleteHa! Love the title Sisco. I agree, the ending was a little rushed and definitely seemed to contradict the morals and beliefs that Jane had so eagerly tried to keep hold of throughout the book. Other than that, the book was well written and interesting throughout.
ReplyDelete