In the movie ghost town, the beginning is admittedly kind of slow in the beginning. Two regular Salinger-esque Holden Caulfield-like girls that graduate from a high school they didn't like go out into a world they don't like either. The acting seems to be off-put and the characters too distant to try to understand what's the effect their trying to portray. Needless to say I didn't like it at first, but as the movie rolls on, the title seems to make more sense. Like ghosts themselves, the plot goes from transparent to fully visible, only to disintegrate at the very end before one can quite comprehend it. As the movie went along I found myself completely absorbed and enamored with the story of a girl who can't decide what is right for her in life. She seems to be mainly conflicted in whether or not she should force herself to like the present world more, or stay shelled in the world that no longer exists but she loves. Another analogy that relates to the title Ghost Town? I think so. Like a ghost town itself she stays transfixed on the past, and tries to maintain her ways until she disappears into thin air. (Which I even more maintain was her suicide since that would be even more fitting with the title) And even though the movie may seem a little strange or eccentric at times it was exactly those eccentricities that drew me in even more to the movie.
What was your opinion of the film? What analogies where you able to find to the title? And also what did the ending mean to you?
I thought the movie was alright. It was the kind of film that i don't mind being forced to watch in class, but wouldn't probably watch on my own. immediately after watching it I did realize any analogies, but after reflecting on it there are a couple I see. Enid floated through life without much effort, but also without leaving much of a mark. Also, the characters she befriended were the kind (okay...was the kind...it was just that one creepy guy) that left no trace of themselves. It's as if the "ghosts" travel in packs. The ending made me sad. We all have to grow up at some point.
ReplyDeleteI, too, wasn't especially in love with this movie, but I thought it was pretty decent. Another analogy for the title could be that the characters are living life like ghosts of themselves. They aren't sure really who they are and are just floating around, absentmindedly attempting to peice together the bits of themselves they may have already established. The ending, to me, meant that Enid was finally moving on, like we all have to do. Things change and things end, and we have to find a way to accept those things and carry on. To me, Enid leaving was a way to say that she was going on with life.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Alyse in that the movie was ok. It is weird looking on some all-time movie charts and seeing it there for some reason. I also agree with Elise's analogy. The characters are just free to roam, and they don't have any real purpose but to just piece together a life. Another direct analogy to the title could've been with the guy at the bus stop. He is stuck in the same time and eventually has to move on. I thought that the ending just showed how everyone moves on with their lives, and that getting on the bus was inspiration to the two girls and the audience to persevere in what you belive in and it will lead you to expand your horizons to bigger and better things.
ReplyDelete