Friday, November 19, 2010

Holden Schmolden

It is important to understand, to me, that being a teen should never be completely generalized. the transitional period between being a child and an adult was only created recently enough. I think that the amount of attention that's been brought to light on this period has also caused a subsequent blow up in importance on the age. As a teenager myself I cannot relate completely to these characters like Holden Caulfield or Jim Stark because they share a philosophy on life that is entirely different to mine. Yes I am a teenager as well, and I do share some of the same thoughts as them, but it is simply blasphemous to tell me that because of my age I am like them. Some adults act more like what we assume teenagers to act like, then teenagers themselves.
Nonetheless, in terms of portraying a well rounded and intriguing kind of character I must say that the movies as well as J.D Salinger have both done a good job, but I simply do not think that anyone would be able to depict modern 'teenagehood' because that term should not exist.

1 comment:

  1. I guess that's one way of viewing it, but at a glance I think the book and film we are studying portray teens quite well.

    ReplyDelete